Interior West Senior Director/Director
Vote Solar’s mission is to repower the U.S. with clean energy by making solar power more accessible and affordable through effective policy advocacy. We are a non-profit organization with headquarters in Oakland, CA, and regional offices in Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Mexico, North Carolina, Utah, Vermont, and Washington, D.C. We are in search of a top--notch candidate to design, campaign for, and implement key policies for expanding solar opportunities in Interior West states.
This position will be responsible for advancing solar policies in assigned states in the Interior West. Activities include:
- Identifying solar policy needs and opportunities in target states. Policy campaigns will span our five program areas: Rooftop Solar, Community Solar, Utility-Scale Solar, Grid Modernization and Access & Equity.
- Planning and executing comprehensive regulatory and legislative campaigns to advance solar policy, including hiring lobbyists and tracking budgets.
- Building policymaker and regulator support for solar policy through education, testimony, direct intervention, fact sheets, quantitative analysis, presentations and relationship building.
- A passion for advocating for the creation of equitable energy policies and programs that will benefit underserved communities.
- Leveraging grassroots supporters and key influencers to turn solar’s broad popularity into effective political power.
- Working with our internal communications team to plan and implementing media and social media plans to support campaign objectives.
- Building external partnerships and helping lead coalitions to increase the effectiveness of our campaigns.
- Managing one of more Interior West campaign staff.
The ideal candidate is a friendly policy-oriented person who knows their way around the legislative arena, and has demonstrated campaign skills. We are looking for someone who can:
- Become an expert on complex solar policy topics.
- Develop and execute successful legislative campaigns.
- Write and present formal testimony.
- Experience working in diverse coalitions and approaching coalition building in an inclusive and thoughtful manner.
- Communicate effectively for legislative and general audiences.
- Work independently, effectively and creatively.
- Empathetic and flexible management skills.
This position will ideally be based in Boulder/Denver area but other Interior West states will be considered. As this position will require regional travel, proximity to transportation hubs is important. Excellent benefits: Vote Solar provides full-time staff with a competitive package, including paid vacation and sick time, health care and a retirement savings plan.
Vote Solar’s organizational culture values humor, kindness and respect in interpersonal relationships, working hard and effectively, and a passion for winning. Vote Solar is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to expand the diversity of its staff. We strongly encourage leaders of color, women and those who identify as LGBTQ to apply.
- Applicants should have at least five years of experience working on legislative campaigns, or other transferable campaign/policy work.
- Familiarity with solar/energy policy in the Interior West, and relationships with state and regional stakeholders are also a plus.
Vote Solar provides full-time staff with a competitive package, including paid vacation and sick time, health care and a retirement savings plan.